MY FAVORITE GREEK COOKIES

The place to share all your favourite recipes!.

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

MY FAVORITE GREEK COOKIES

Postby AJA » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm

These are traditionally Christmas cookies, but Diana and I love them so much that I make them year-round.

KOULOURAKIA (Butter cookies)

1 pound unsalted butter 8-9 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 cups sugar 2 tablespoons baking powder
6 eggs 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar. Beat eggs until light; add to butter mixture and beat thoroughly. Add vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder. Carefully blend into butter-egg mixture to make a soft dough. Shape dough with lightly floured hands into desired shapes (I usually do pretzel shapes) and arrange on cookie sheets. Brush cookies with beaten egg and water. Bake at 375 fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 8-10 dozen small cookies. These stay fresh for a week or so in an airtight container, and they freeze very well.

KOURABIEDES (Shortbread cookies)

1 pound unsalted butter
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 egg yolks
5 cups all purpose flour, sifted
confectioners' sugar for topping

Cream butter until very light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add egg yolks and mix well. Gradually work in sifted flour to make a soft dough. With floured hands, shape dough into small crescents or balls and place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Test to see if cookies are done by breaking one in the center. If there is no butter line in the middle of the cookie, they are done.
Sift confectioners' sugar on a large sheet of waxed paper. Carefully place cookies on the sugar and sift additional sugar over tops and sides. Cool thoroughly before storing.
Makes about 10 dozen small cookies. These stay fresh for several days in an airtight container, and they freeze well - in either case, put a piece of waxed paper in between the layers of cookies to prevent sticking together.

Both are totally yummy!!
AJ :D
"If you are squeamish don't prod the beach rubble." ~ Sappho
AJA
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Re: MY FAVORITE GREEK COOKIES

Postby Little White Dove » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:36 am

WoW they sound great! I will have to give them ago, thanks AJ :1:

May your day be filled with blessings Like the sun that lights the sky,
May you always have the courage To spread your wings and fly!
Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Return to Cafe La Cookbook!