Feng Shui

Feng Shui information and Discussion

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

Feng Shui

Postby Angel,too » Mon May 12, 2003 12:48 am

Hi y'all! :llying:

I've noticed a couple of posts lately mentioning Feng Shui and figured it was time to start a new thread to discuss the subject.

I'd be interested in finding out if you prefer the Traditional Feng Shui or the more modern version, sometimes called Western or Practical? I, myself, prefer the Western version. I've read just enough about Traditional Feng Shui to know that it's really too involved for me. Everything is based on your birthdate, the birthdate of everyone else in the household, the year the house was built, in what direction the house faces, etc. And to top it off, everything changes every year. So I may need Metal in a particular room this year, but need Wood there next year. I personally, don't have time to redecorate every year.

That said, here are some of the things I do at home to help keep the Chi in balance:
    We always put the lid to the toilet seat down. Huge quantities of Chi escape through toilets and drains. It's a good idea to keep drain covers closed on drains, too...especially large ones, like in the tub.

My "Wealth & Prosperity" area is missing due to the shape of my house. Therefore I've made a shrine of sorts outside in the exact corner where the walls would be if my house were a perfect rectangle. This includes a birdbath with plants and red and puple flowers around it. I also put crystals in the window which face that area and I have a fish tank (moving water is a great Chi attracter) just under the window.

My bed faces (but is not directly in front of) my bedroom door and any mirrors in the bedroom are not in a direct viewing angle of the bed. Also, I have no electronic devices in the bedroom while I sleep (no phones, TVs, radios, electric alarm clocks, etc.). If you can't remove these items, try to place them as far from the bed as possible or "hide" them (like having a TV in an armoire).

I use all the colors suggested for the different areas and the shapes and elements. Though in some areas it may just be a "token" item as things don't always fit the decor completely. For example, my bathroom is in the "Career" area which calls for Black, but my colors are soft pastels in that room. So I have my black hairbrush on a shelf and black lids on my essential oils that I use for perfume (the little 1/8 oz. bottles).

There's more, but I don't want to write a whole book here. What do you do in the way of Feng Shui?

Peace,
Angel :1:
Live Happy, Joyous & Free.
Angel,too
Naturally Home
Naturally Home

Postby Running Bear » Tue May 13, 2003 7:29 am

Hi Angel
Well Im not up on all this stuff but I know that in our home we have wind chimes all over the house which Jen tells me that they are to disperse the energy evenly around the house. She has Yin and Yang I think you call them, and Iching symbols stratigically placed around the house, I am not allowed to move the bed as the energy is supposed to run in a north south direction (under the threat of death.)lol.
We live in what I would consider a harmonous home Jennie says that it all has to do with the Karma within the walls.
And by the way we do have a TV and Video in the bedroom but these are kept inside the wardrobe and the door kept closed at all times except when using them.
there are also many different thing's done here but like you I would end up with a book lol
Tim :5:
many hug's from running bear

Running Bear
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby whispering breeze » Tue May 13, 2003 2:07 pm

Oh dear, Well both mine and my hubbies computers are in our bedroom as they won't go anywhere else. :o

I too have windchimes up around my house, I have now got myself into a routine where I am keeping dust at bay, making sure I do keep the home clean and tidy daily as I got out of routine so the Chi can flow easily.
I also keep toilet lids down and have to moan at my family to make sure they have put it down. :lol:

I am reading up on it and I know I have loads to do yet with Feng Shui, reading what you do helps alot and I'd love to hear more Angel :3:
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Angel,too » Wed May 14, 2003 12:01 am

Hi y'all,

Thanks for adding your thoughts and ideas. Please don't mistake me for any kind of an expert on this. I've read a couple of books and just got a new one and I've been doing this to some degree for about 3 or 4 years. But I only take what feels right to me and leave the rest behind.

The bed direction I know is a big deal, but I've never bothered to find out in which direction mine is supposed to be. I just know I've tried it in different places in the bedroom and this way works best, plus the way it works in conjunction with the door (like I mentioned above) is supposed to be important as well. Jennie's right about the Karma thing which goes right along with the Chi thing. I have windchimes outside, not in. I've read that one must use great care in placing windchimes inside as they can over-stimulate the Chi…but, if they’re working for you, they must be okay.

If you have to have computers in the bedroom, it would probably be a good idea to put covers on them when you sleep, or even rig up some kind of curtain or room divider to block them with. The TV/Video in the wardrobe is a good idea. And, yes, keeping the dust and clutter away is extremely helpful. So many of the Feng Shui ideas are really just practical common sense and good housekeeping/decorating. I was surprised when I read my first Feng Shui book at how many of the ideas I was already using without knowing anything about it.

Pets are WONDERFUL Chi-stirrers, and my big baby boys (two 80+ pound German Shepherd Mixes) are very good at keeping it moving.

I place pairs of things (a pair of candles, two pictures in frames, etc.) in the “Love & Marriageâ€
Angel,too
Naturally Home
Naturally Home

Postby Little White Dove » Wed May 14, 2003 3:55 am

My life and my home were not planned with Feng Shui in mind but after your post RB took a look at feng shui started to ask question as to why we had so much of it in our house and I can only say spirit guides us. Lol the place is full of it

Even the garden with winding paths and Pine Trees [Longevity]. Orange tree [Wealth]. Plum tree [Beauty and youth]. Begonia bushes [Perfect Yin/Yang]. Only just fond out this info :o I have them because I like them.

I have Wind chimes outside the front door and back. [ do you know the reason that I have them there is to bring angels, as when I was little my nana said “every time a bell rings an angel gets its wingsâ€

May your day be filled with blessings Like the sun that lights the sky,
May you always have the courage To spread your wings and fly!
Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby Sweet Melodies » Wed May 14, 2003 11:07 pm

I also like to remove all the clutters,saying easier than done,especially if we have kids.
I don't keep mirrors & electronic devices in our bedroom.
I have windchimes,*beep* Luk Sau,Quan Yin,Buddha.

I generally don't belive on all Feng Shui Products that are sold in the market.

I used to keep my mind in finding the leakages that are present in my home & try to rectify that.Eg. Main door facing a toilet door,a balcony with the sliding door or back door.

Jennie wrote
Would you believe that even my study is 80% ok as I have a picture of the Franklin river on the wall behind my seat lol

Jennie, its not good to have a water feature behind your seat as experts say that when a water feature is kept behind,one may get betrayed or may face some problem.If you keep a picture of a mountain,it symbolically represents that u have a solid support.Water features,water fountains,aquarium are only kept in front.
Many keep Dragons behind them ,just to get support in their work.
The body shape of a dragon looks just like a mountain.
Kavitha Praveen
Sweet Melodies
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Little White Dove » Thu May 15, 2003 4:20 am

Thank you Kavitha for helping us with your knowledge I have the picture to my side now and RB pointed out that it has mountains in it too so I hope this is ok...Kavitha is it ok to have Buddha painted on the wall above my healing table Buddha is to the right of the head as you lay on table for healing ...jennie

Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby Sweet Melodies » Thu May 15, 2003 5:18 am

Jennie wrote
Kavitha is it ok to have Buddha painted on the wall above my healing table Buddha is to the right of the head as you lay on table for healing

Yes. You can. :lol:

Blue Buddha is ideal for Healing purposes.
Kavitha Praveen
Sweet Melodies
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Little White Dove » Thu May 15, 2003 6:34 am

My eldest grandson painted Buddha up there for me when he helped paint the room..... The room is Blue and Buddha is Gold with Blue robes :oops: I hope this is ok...jennie

Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby Crystal Dragon » Tue May 20, 2003 12:21 am

I have been so interested in this subject and with the prospect of us buying our own home soon... I'd like to learn more about Feng Shui so when we finally do find a home I can use some of the elements & give it good CHI :) .....

Thankyou for sharing

Lisamaree
Crystal Dragon
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Angel,too » Wed May 21, 2003 1:09 am

Hi again!

I've always been fond of water and of fish tanks and I have two in my house. The largest one is situated in the bedroom, where the sound of the moving water lulls me to sleep. Today, while reading my newest Feng Shui book, I found out that the best number of fish to have in a tank is 9 and that 1 of them should be black to absorb the negative Chi. Since I have fairly large fish, I will be shopping for a larger tank in order to fit 9 in and still allow them to have enough oxygen.

I also learned that spiked houseplants should be in the south and round-leaf or drooping plants should be in a northern room. So I did a little plant moving.

Happy Decorating!
Angel,too
Naturally Home
Naturally Home

Postby Sweet Melodies » Wed May 21, 2003 10:33 am

Hi Angel,

I've always been fond of water and of fish tanks and I have two in my house. The largest one is situated in the bedroom, where the sound of the moving water lulls me to sleep.

Generally FengShui masters suggests that " Not to keep any water (eg.picture of a lake, fish tank etc.) in the bedroom. They also say that a fish tank in the bedroom can affect one's martial life and even wealth.

The largest one is situated in the bedroom, where the sound of the moving water lulls me to sleep.

Some people can resist negative forces better than others.

If you like to have your fish tank in your bedroom & u feel that the sound of the moving water lulls you to sleep, then enjoy keeping it in your bedroom. :lol:

Today, while reading my newest Feng Shui book, I found out that the best number of fish to have in a tank is 9 and that 1 of them should be black to absorb the negative Chi.

The black fish is called " Arowana " or " Dragon Carp".
It is also called " Kam Lung Yue " in chinese.
Dragon Carps are good martial Fortune Symbol. Its good to keep it in your fish tank.ENJOY. :3:
Kavitha Praveen
Sweet Melodies
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Sweet Melodies » Wed May 21, 2003 10:44 am

Hi Lisamaree,

I have been so interested in this subject and with the prospect of us buying our own home soon... I'd like to learn more about Feng Shui so when we finally do find a home I can use some of the elements & give it good CHI .....

I have posted some tips ,pl Click Here to read.
Last edited by Sweet Melodies on Thu May 22, 2003 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kavitha Praveen
Sweet Melodies
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Angel,too » Wed May 21, 2003 11:18 pm

Oh Dear! I REALLY like my fishtank in the bedroom. As I said it lulls me to sleep. Also, my boyfriend loves to lie in bed in the morning on weekends and just watch the fish. It's one of his favorite things on a lazy day.
:fish:
Perhaps we resist negative forces better than some as you suggest. Our relationship is excellent (I guess that would compare to marital life...though we aren't married). Still...is there something I should do to reduce the negative effect, but still be able to keep the tank in the bedroom?
:fish:
Thanks,
Angel,too
Naturally Home
Naturally Home

Re: Feng Shui

Postby sunshine » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Angel:

I, like you, use the Western version. I thin it is referred to as the Black Hat Sect school, where the wall opposite the entrance to any room/house is automatically considered the North. It's not that I consciously chose it, but when we bought and were moving into our new home, I studies up on Feng Shui and it so happened that both books I found were Western style. I used them, it worked.

Later I found out about the traditional school and, too, found it too involved and complicated - don't have time. But I do incorporate some elements of traditional, mostly directions of bed, desk, places where I spend a lot of time, I make sure they face an appropriate direction for me/my family.

Curious to know what everybody esle thinks about Western vs traditional...
sunshine
Naturally New

Return to Feng Shui Tavern