Desire verses Need

For all those things you do, like and want to chat about

Moderators: Spiritual Beings, Friendship Team

Desire verses Need

Postby Fantasia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Was having a conversation regarding the definition of "desiring" or "needing" 'something'...and which is the correct word to use...and why?...through a life we are conditioned to use certain words owing to our language or even upbringing - schooling or parental teachings...

So it was suggested I look up the meaning or definition of the word "Need"...now really *shrug*, who needs to look up the meaning of need!...it is a simple word, a word we have known since little tots...infact as little tots we used it a lot lol...

But, what I found in the Oxford Dictionary left me so surprised...

It said:

Need (noun)

1) circumstances in which things or course of action is required
2) a situation of great difficulty or misfortune
3) lack of necessaries, poverty
4) a requirement, a thing necessary for life

Need (verb)

1) to be in need of, to require
2) to be under a necessary or obligation

So for me, it means the word Need I have been using through my life in the wrong context, have become complacent with it...

Looking at the word now...it is a "Negative" word....

I cannot ever remember reading the meaning of Need since I was a child!

Which brought me to another way of thinking, how often do we use this word, so how often are we 'calling in' - some of the meanings of the word: eg

"Misfortune; obligation; great difficulty"!!!

Ok food for thought and I am off to make a cup of coffee which I "desire"...lol
I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the
other person and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people.

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

RE: Desire verses Need

Postby Norma » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:20 am

lots of laughs Fantasia.... thank you so much for the food for thought!
"'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.' ~Unknown "
Image Image Image
Live simply. Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby Fantasia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:11 am

Actually Norms, this time, I was being quite serious....

I have identified some ways I think...which I thought were quite alright, but in reality they have been compromising my ability to enjoy what is rightfully mine....and compromising by ability to share and give gratitude to the fullest degree...one cannot share or give gratitude if there is nothing to share or give gratitude for....so it can almost be said I have in some respects I have been blocking the normal flow of abundance even disconnection at times. Almost a catalyst to my own flow in life, which I might add has been quite successful, but, without the blockages how far would I have gone? How many others could have gained benefit from my manifestation...

So wording is so important ....
I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the
other person and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people.

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Norma » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:15 am

but you are very right..... as I think here of all the words I have utilized..... it really does make a difference with and how we say words...
"'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.' ~Unknown "
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby vicky » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:43 pm

I guess I am lucky here coz straight away I thought of basic needs- love, shelter, food without which we would cease to exist......the rest is just really excess isn't it...the handbags,
keep the faith
vicky
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Fantasia » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Exactly Vicky...so it seems if we open the scope...more is allowed in...so are we satisfied with just the 'basics' of existence?...I don't want to just "exist" in this life, I want to "live" in this life, to the fullest...experience all there is that is possible...not be tied to one portion of living because of a blockage or hindrance in the way I think....

Even our capacity to learn can be compromised I have found if we have tunnel vision that does not open up to new horizons.

Makes me wonder what other words we use that Block and Stop forward movement...?

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby lal » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:17 am

You are so right. But I wonder is it just our words that we use to stop and block forward movement or can it be our negative thoughts too? And then the challenge is to change not only the way we talk but also the way we think, and how easy is it to slip back into old patterns of automatic negative thought (ANT's) in times of trial when we most need the positive energy.
Joy is like a boomerang; the moment you fling it, it returns.
lal
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby vicky » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:03 pm

well we can live but do we need the fripperies ?? oh food - spiritual food too
keep the faith
vicky
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Norma » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 pm

the ultimate goal catch the love, keep some love, move the love about, and pass the love along and around.... it is there but we just don't take it we assume we have to ask for it.... the one thing that is free and of most abundance... no need to choose desire or need here...
hummmmmm..... I'm off topic again huh?
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby vicky » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:18 pm

well no...love is a major need for us all...without it we would curl up and die

xx
keep the faith
vicky
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby lal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm

to love and be loved in equal amounts, each helps the other along, a balance i suppose. you cant receive and give nothing but equally to give all and not receive leaves you depleated
Joy is like a boomerang; the moment you fling it, it returns.
lal
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby BelieveinUnicorns » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:12 pm

But what you "give" should be the same as what you receive ~ in a Karma state..... then why do we often feel depleated or is that only for those who are not seeing that what you give and receive might not be in the exact form and are our expectaions the real problems?
The wiser the soul .... the greater the simplicity.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with salsa.

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now.

Communication
In prayer you communicate with God, in meditation God communicates with you.

BelieveinUnicorns
Naturally Supermod
Naturally Supermod

Postby Citrine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:36 am

Great topic Fantasia.

I have found heaps of blocks and "needs" dissolving in my life lately not trying to work them out myself but by turning it over to faith. Its not a blind faith sticking my head in the sand about them hoping it will go away, but recognising them and having deep connection from within that the block will be solved in due time.

It has really set me free of expectations and wants and has opened my heart and soul up to gratitude and awe of how powerful the divine source is who is far more knowlegeable about what exactly we "need" at a particular time.

Its kinda like being a toddler that wants their need met straight away but the parent knows its not time to have that particular activity at that time but the need will be filled at a better time or an even better variation of that need so it does happen in accordance to timing. We get just as frustrated as the toddler does lol but we instead should have peace of mind to know we have everything we need in each moment of time hour by hour and knowing this we can be free and abundant and the blocks will dissolve in ways we could never work out for ourselves.

Is kinda like a quote in the bible that goes something like "be as little children".

Not sure if I have taken the wrong tangent on this but is difficult to explain the feeling about it lol.

Lots of love & light
Citrinexxx
Grow in love & peace and joy will light your days.

Life is not about finding yourself.....Life is about creating yourself.

The secret to life is not to be in the know - but to be in the mystery.
Citrine
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby MisterJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:17 am

Is a cool subject Fantasia,

Couldnt this change of our dialogue as such changing from a "need" to a "desire" also expand our consciousness of the true meaning or focus of that word into a more positive manifestation technique to apply for what we are seeking as well.

As other synonyms for the word desire such as ,desire, wish, want, crave and covet all i feel point more towards than manifestation of that ideal that we are seeking at the time than the word "need".

I also feel a desire is a much heartfelt emotion than an actual need as we all need air but we all desire fesh clean air without pollutants , kinda takes it up a level.

Just a thought on where i guess this change of word replacement would be heading towards.

Lots of love and Light
MisterJ
In the midsts of our souls do our minds evolve
MisterJ
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Norma » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:51 pm

water.... we need it to live, but desire the one with least amount of chemicals and better flavor....
love... we need it to live, but desire the deeper elements of it
fustrations... we need it to live so we can experience... but prefer less of it to be in harmony

I guess there is much we need so we can follow our paths, we just desire the good of it all....

Okay.... I am thinking out loud again.... but I had to see where the negative and positives fit in... since needs and desires can be both negative and positive.....
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby MisterJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:51 am

Norma i think personally seeing things in a negative light or a positive one is out own choice , as everything has duality within it ,m it is just what we want to acknowledge to how we label it.

I personally feel all things are neutral its just how we are conditioned to react to things that causes our negative or positive labelling to it.

This is just how i tend to see things thesedays as then i feel i can see things for what they are and that thing is mostly lessons in my journey.

Just another slant on things .

Love and Light
MisterJ
In the midsts of our souls do our minds evolve
MisterJ
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Norma » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 am

Oh..... and I like that MisterJ .

By having more choices, more ideas, more concepts allows for more flavor in what tastes best to us and prevents one from being stuck in the preception there is only one answer....

Neutrality is a great concept to possess, but would you not have to make a choice at some point and jump onto one side of the fence or another? I ask since even with the Law, and going by the letter of the law... nothing is really every truely black and white... there usually area reasons behind motives ~~~~ the dog stole my lunch because ~ he desired it, needed it, was hungry, wanted to get even with me, was confused, had too many drugs and didn't know it was my lunch, wanted to feed it's mate...................... nothing is really ever what it seems.... we only really know what we think and feel.
okay.. I slaughtered this topic enough.... gotta run.
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby Norma » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 pm

I see Fantasia tossing water balloons at me for my last response.......!! Not the face Fantasia!!
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Postby Fantasia » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:54 am

{{{{splat}}} lol

Actually there is great reading here, and so much food for thought....talking of food, if a dog is hungry does it need to eat or want to eat?? want makes it eat which fills the 'need'..hmm...

I have to admit since I changed my way of utilising the words...many changes have transpired most certainly of a positive nature. My desires have been met in abundance.

Maybe as a simple exercise try it for 24hrs...be aware of how many times you actually think the word 'need'...or even say it....change it around, see what transpires...I'd be interested to hear any feedback :)

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Norma » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:52 pm

interestingly I have heard over the last couple weeks to stop being so independant and acting like I don't need any help... well really, I don't need any help, but I have accepted it since it seems they have a need to want to help.... slight twist of thoughts on events.... and I'm not the one saying need!
Image Image Image
Leave the rest to God.
Norma
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Next

Return to Naturally Chat