TIPS!

The place to share all your favourite recipes!.

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

CHICKEN!

Postby big_mamma » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:18 pm

I thought I would like to share this tip with you,you know how when we have Turkey at christmas and we put bacon under the skin to keep it soft and moist,well I was taught a tip for that with chicken when I was in the womans aid house. Here it is:
Take a whole chicken and put into a large saucepan of boiling water,add salt and pepper and boil for 30 mins one side and then turn over and do another 15-20 mins, then take out of the water and put in an oven dish pour a small amount of olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle with salt, and you will have a very crispy skin and a very moist bird. Don't throw the water away, but add cauliflower, brussels and sweetcorn to it, a little salt and pepper and three drops of tobasco sauce and a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a few slices of bacon cut into small strips cook till the veg is soft. Leave to cool over night and in the morning put in a food processor till it is all coarsley mixed. And there you have a chicken dinner and a soup for cold day's and nights.
mamma
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :wavey:
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

TIPS!

Postby big_mamma » Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:06 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if we all put down some of the good tips we know,I'll start shall I lol
:1:
If you have a frypan that sticks,while it is dry sprinkle it with salt so the bottom is covered,put on a gas or electric ring and cook the salt,for say a couple of mins,you will then be able to cook eggs ect;without them sticking,but you would have to apply it again after you have washed it up. :wavey:
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Now come on Ladies and Gents

Postby big_mamma » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:37 am

Now Come on Ladies and Gents!!!!!!!!!
Tell us your tips,you know you can always talk to mamma lool
and especially those of you in Australia and USA and Lebanon where ever you come from share your tips!
So mamma has spoken :P
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby Cloud_Princess » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:24 pm

lol mamma i dont know any cool tips im afraid lol cooking is not my strong point lol

no i tell a lie lol only tip i know is if you have a pan that has stuff burnt on the bottom ( see how bad i am ? lolol ) try putting white vinegar in the bottom of the pot and leaving it overnight or longer depending on the extent of the "damage" lol it should remove or at least soften the burnt on bits to a point that they will wash off easily ..

may not work on all burnt on bits but should on most ...

Cloud_Princess

If Wishes were Wings....
Cloud_Princess
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby trias » Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:44 pm

Ahh ha! Tips from the Swedish Chef and her chickin

If I could think of a few....

The Grande High Secret of Taste
As one wiffman put it to me "It's no secret! Fat, sugar and salt" Yes indeedy all those things we adore eating but are not considered healthy are hidden purveyors of taste. If you want something to taste nice easily add it but beware the price. :)

Trias' Highway to Chefhood for the.. uhm.. Culinarily Challenged
We shall make a meal of pasta. Why?" Because it is the most versatile meal and is still trendy..yay!! Take the biggest pot you have. If this is a piddly little saucepan bonk yourself over the head with it and buy a decent one... Fill this pot with water. If you use hot water or boiled water it is faster later on. Fill itt to about an inch from the top. Boiling water likes to splash you see. Put the pot on the stove with the heat full blast. Add some salt to the water. Not too much no more than 1/4 teaspoon. If you added too much salt you will know later as the pasta will taste very salty. Wait patiently for the water to boil. Patiently I said. No put the oxy set away, it's only going to complicate things. Why did we use so much water? Because cooking pasta releases starch and the more dilute the starch is the more evenly the pasta cooks and no sticking. Why did we add salt then smartarse? Because the salt increases the boiling temperature of the water which cooks the pasta better IMHO.

While you're bored waiting put a strainer in the sink with the plug out wally!

Boiling yet? Wonderful! Now add some oil no more than 1/8 teaspoon basically a small splash. I prefer extra virgin olive oil but any oil apart from the stuff you got out of your mate's car will do. Why oil then? Because this reduces the chance of pasta sticking. Throw in an entire bag of dried pasta. 500g they are will cover 4 people easily, 8 if you stretch it. This assumes your pot was big enough. If it isn’t, do half. Adding less pasta to the big pot is fine. Now not all pasta is created equal. The fancy stuff in the refrigerated section of the supermarket is non-dried and often egg based. it will taste nicer but take far less time to cook. An indication of how long will be on the pack. The dried stuff is usually Ok unless it looked brownish yellow and cracked. This is crap pasta. And crap pasta makes crap pasta dishes. This is often the no name brand but some no name brands are fine. Barilla brand and San Remo in Aust. at least are always fine. If you would like healthy wholemeal pasta (or are looking for a trendy gimmick) then that's fine too but it takes longer to cook. Do not buy 'pasta pronto'.

Now we've got it in there. Put down the spoon!. You will not stir and stir and stir until it falls apart. Now don't leave the pasta and watch TV while you wait for it to cook. Be patient, hey you're learning secret No1 of cooking eh, ie be patient. Anyways after a minute or so stir the pasta briefly. This will reduce the risk of sticking. You see if pasta sticks, it cooks unevenly. Every 3 mins or so take out one random bit of pasta let it cool enough to eat and eat it. Is it soft all the way through yet? No? Needs more time. When it's almost soft enough test every minute or so. Once it's soft enough yet sticks nicely to the teeth (That's al dente for you smarties) it's ready. As you do this more you will get a better feel for when it's ready. Immediately pick up pan and strain in the strainer. At this point some like to add water but I’ve never bothered. I sure would if the water was very salty though.

Now we have hot pasta but no sauce. But the secret is in the sauce as they say. And I can tell you there are millions of sauces. Bolognaise is but one. Most are cream or tomato based. I will give an easy peasy one for starters which is based on neither. Fry bacon. Chop bacon into bits. Add this bacon, some extra virgin olive oil and peas to the pasta and mix. Put serving in pasta dish or plate or whatever and top with Parmesan cheese. And here’s another secret. That powdered Parmesan cheese sold in the sprinkler is crap. Buy it from the cheese section of the supermarket pre-grated if you like.

See easy wasn’t it? And what’s more with all the pasta shapes and millions of sauces you can do almost anything.

Tips

Try the dish you’re afraid to make. If it works out, that’s great! If it doesn’t you will learn a bucketload from it. Learning is best from failure remember and good cooks are miserable failures so they can learn.

Wash rice before you cook it if you want separated grains. Rice has waaay too much starch in it.

For tastier roasts rub oil and salt on the surface before cooking. It helps form a nice crust.

To tenderise tough cuts of meat use vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, onion (pulverised is better), leeks or tomato. You can even marinate just before freezing.

Break eggs into a cup before adding. If the egg is off then you won’t have ruined a dish.

If you’re prone to burning things either you aren’t watching or you have the heat too high. Both are signs of being rushed or distracted.

Try rosemary twig skewers for lamb kebabs!

You’ve seen fussy chefs wipe plates far too often haven’t you? But you see chefs know presentation is very important for improving a meal’s impression on people. Clean plates and a bit of artistic flair with decoration goes a long way.

Secret for roast potatoes is easy. Cook them long enough. Choose watery type potatoes if you can and cook separate from the meat as the meat juices will slow the crisping effect.

If you don’t want something to separate like cream or yoghurt cooking add a tiny amount of flour. It will stabilise the mix and reduce the risk.

After experimenting to make ‘chinese’ food I found the following makes close flavours. Hoisin sauce, thicken with flour or cornflour, add some sherry, add MSG if you dare. I’m still open to suggestions.

If you cook with cheese, which unfortunately sticks everywhere and makes washing a nightmare later, put water on it to soften the cheese.

Kitchens are not good places for very young kids. Knives and boiling water cause more accidents than I care to think about. Keep kids too small out and make it clear. Later encourage them in to learn.

You may go through dozens of cookbooks which will be mediocre at best but then you will get ‘the’ book and you know it’s right for you. One good place to start is the rather boring looking but highly versatile very old recipe books often published by a school or somesuch. ie the people who used to cook, day-to-day.

As my mother likes to say… if in doubt throw it out. ie if you’re not sure if it’s OK to eat put it in the bin. Sick people don’t appreciate culinary masterpieces.
trias
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby Little White Dove » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:42 am

Hi Trias :P

Thanks for the great tips, I enjoyed them :lol: and will try your idea
For tastier roasts rub oil and salt on the surface before cooking. It helps form a nice crust.
as Tim likes them crusty and I am yet to perfect one like his mother used to make :oops: :wink:

May your day be filled with blessings Like the sun that lights the sky,
May you always have the courage To spread your wings and fly!
Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby whispering breeze » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:24 am

I have to say i loved this part :lol:
Take the biggest pot you have. If this is a piddly little saucepan bonk yourself over the head with it and buy a decent one...
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby trias » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:00 am

Thanks I'm glad they were enjoyed. :D
trias
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

TIP'S

Postby big_mamma » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:56 pm

To cut the work down with greasy ovens,shake some bicarbonate of soda onto a plate or whatever,take a damp cloth and next time you clean your oven,dab the cloth in the bicarbonated soad and rub all on the over walls and door and ceiling,stops grease clinging and makes it easier to clean.
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby whispering breeze » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:02 pm

Rubbing lemon over your hands after you have cut onions gets rid of the onion smell from your hands :P
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby ElVaago » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:07 am

Don't overcook vegetables. This will kill all the vitamins and make them tasteless and generally yucky.

I wish my mom had learnt this when I was a kid... But noooo.. she insisted all vegetables has to be cooked until soggy.

Ruud
"Fly... on your wings... like an eagle. Fly as high... as... the sky!"
ElVaago
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Tips

Postby big_mamma » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:55 pm

Did you know that if you drink tea straight after a meal you drestroy the vitamins you had gained from it?
mamma
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Beans

Postby cherokee1234 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:37 pm

We love beans, especially pinto beans. I buy them by the 50 lb bag! But, they can cause internal misery. I soak my beans for at least an hour in water that has been brought to a boil. Then, pressure cook them with an apple (cut in half and core removed) You can use apple juice or apple sauce, but I usually have an apple that isn't quite nice for eating, but too good to toss! If I lay the two halves skin side down, they are still in place on the top of the beans and I can scoop them up and drop them into the worm food. This will NOT remove the gas from the beans, but it does get rid of the pain! Farting will be a pleasure!

A carrot or potato will work the same way, but not as effectively. Before I learned about the apple, I used to make a "chowder" of my own design with carrots, potatoes and beans so I could get my husband to eat the beans. He was the one that suffered the most.

When using canned beans, add some apple juice to the cooking juices when heating them up.

Please, Chrissy, take that back about the TEA! :( We drink a lot of tea before, with, after and between meals! LOL Oolong tea is good for moving fats on through the system. Lipton Brand in the US is the same cut as oolong tea.
Judy :buttelr: May our life be like arithmetic; Friends added, enemies subtracted, joys multiplied and troubles divided. "When life hands you scraps; make a quilt!"
cherokee1234
Naturally Friendly
Naturally Friendly

Rescue

Postby cherokee1234 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:43 pm

Burned food can often be rescued by REMOVING the part that will easily come out of the pan and putting it into a clean container, then covering that container with a damp towel and leaving it covered for 1/2 hour. Sounds crazy, but I have rescued burned potatoes and beans this way. Of course the least amount of burning or scorching is the best to save.

Heavy bottom pans help avoid scorching and sticking. Moderate temperatures for cooking and patience help avoid sticking. Many foods stick because they haven't had time to form a crust and be thoroughly cooked. We love fried mush, but one has to almost forget about it to get slices and not a floppy mess.

THe salt bit for avoiding sticking is how I like to clean my cast iron. I learned this from a restaurant with big iron, gas griddles. For a little skillet, I just shake some salt in the bottom of a hot skillet, then go after it with a paper towel or a spatula.
Judy :buttelr: May our life be like arithmetic; Friends added, enemies subtracted, joys multiplied and troubles divided. "When life hands you scraps; make a quilt!"
cherokee1234
Naturally Friendly
Naturally Friendly

Postby Angel,too » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:34 am

Cherokee,

I know it's been a month since you posted here, but since I just now read it I had to reply. It was the first thing that made me laugh out loud all night.

Farting will be a pleasure? What a hoot!

Angel :1:
Live Happy, Joyous & Free.
Angel,too
Naturally Home
Naturally Home

Onions

Postby healing hands » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:24 pm

I was told, and this has always worked for me, if you run cold water when cutting an onion, you will not get the watery eyes. Also if you rinse your hand with cold water while gentely running the flat side of the stainless steel knife you just cut them with over your hand, inbetween fingers, etc. it takes away the smell of the onions

If you want to help your pasta not stick together, make sure to put some oil in the water before it starts to boil

to clean the back drop of your kitchen stove, the fan above it, or the wall behind it from the collection of grease and splatters, boil a pot of water in the back burner and clean off.

To rid pans of dried food that would take way too much elbow grease to do alone, just boil with a little bit of water in the pan

If I think of anymore Ill make sure to post!

Love and Light
Laura
healing hands
Naturally Friendly
Naturally Friendly

Postby Little White Dove » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:33 am

When covering a dish, lasagna, etc, with tinfoil, spray foil with cooking spray before putting on top so that it won't stick.

If you want to remove fat from soup or stew but can't wait for it to chill and congeal, drag a slice of bread across the surface of the soup to soak up as much grease as possible.

Use a cooking spray or oil the measuring cup next time you need to measure honey. The honey slides out easily.

To avoid "weepy onion eyes," try freezing them slightly before chopping.

To minimize odors while cooking cabbage, put ¼ of a lemon in the water while boiling to keep the smell from filling the kitchen.

Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby Egyptianlady » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:21 am

Cleaning Stove Tops Use white vinegar to clean stove tops for a streak-free shine. The vinegar odor will disappear quickly.
Máat says If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Duct tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together
Egyptianlady
Naturally Friendly
Naturally Friendly

Postby Little White Dove » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:14 pm

Kitchen Cleanser.

For cleaning up light spills without using expensive cleaners, make your own by combining 1/2 Cup each of ammonia and vinegar, 1/4 Cup baking soda and one gallon of warm water. For heavier cleaning, such as grease spills, apply a paste of baking soda and bleach on the affected area and scrub with a stiff brush (making sure the surface is sturdy enough first and won't be scratched or damaged by the chemicals). Rinse.
Please Note Never mix ammonia and bleach together!

Little White Dove
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby majique » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:12 am

To ensure you have tender roast vegetables, par-steam them prior to roasting. Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with a thin layer of virgin olive oil and spinkle whatever dried herbs you prefer ( rosemay,basil,oregano) Roll the vegies around in the oil so all sides are coated a little with both oil and herbs , roast in a medium heated oven , turning once . Result should be crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- When making Gnocchi, the older the potato the fluffier the gnocchi. Red potato (Kenabek, i beleive they are called) also give a better result.
Add Freshly grated ginger (desertspoon) as well as a slice (1 cm) to hot oil before any stir fry vegies are added as well as a couple of drops of sesame oil after the vegies are added will definatley make a dish taste chinese......if you require a sweet flavour add half a teaspoon of honey to the cornflour and water paste used to create sauce and bind the vegies, for sweet and sour I have even used a small amount of lemon and orange juice mix and a drop or two of tabasco sauce with a drzzle of honey or even sugar with fine slivers of capsicums and spring onion (green slivers only, not the bulb bit) - Fresh grated ginger and a crushed garlic clove to flavour wok oil prior to adding ingredients is also another good flavour - great with chopped onion,broccoli florettes,tofu with sesame seeds or cashews. I mostly add soy sauce or tamari or hoisin to the cornflour to create the binding sauce. Experimentation is the key and some peoples taste buds require more or less of some things, its better to add more flavour as you go than overkill.
Tips for household - If you drop something onto parquetry flooring and it dents the wood, get a cloth a place over it, get your steam iron and fill it with water and on the highest steam setting do shots of steam above the cloth. This should lift the bruised wood back more into its original position - must be done within 24 hours of damage.
In Love light and life. M
majique
Naturally Friendly
Naturally Friendly

Next

Return to Cafe La Cookbook!