Habits in children

For all those parenting and family issues, gossip and fun times too...

Moderators: Spiritual Beings, Friendship Team

Habits in children

Postby whispering breeze » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:31 pm

Hi guys,

My yongest son has a habit right now of making coughing noises, although he doesn't have a cough.
My two eldest children also had habits when they were younger.
The last couple of days my youngest has been doing it alot, seems to have calmed down a bit tonight though.
I also went through a simular thing when i was a child, so i know how frustrating and annoying it can be not just for the parents putting up with it, but also for the child that suffers from habits.

I know the proper thing to do is ignore it, as i learnt that if i was ignored when i did it as a child i eventually in time got out of it.
But if i was pressured into stopping my habit, it got worse.
I have also read that boys suffer worse with habits than girls.
I know when my habits started as a child, so i can relate and say well mine started at this stage, a time i wasn't very confident.
But my youngest has tons of confidence and isn't shy, so i sort of wonder why he has habits at the moment?.
Maybe it's a thing that some children go through with out any explination?
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby ElVaago » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:43 am

As long as it's habits in kids instead of kids in habits. *laughing*

Ruud, who makes lame jokes.
"Fly... on your wings... like an eagle. Fly as high... as... the sky!"
ElVaago
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby whispering breeze » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:22 pm

LOL Ruud. :lol:

Thankfully it seems my youngest habit has stopped, that i believe is the wonders of reiki. :wink: :rain:
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Rippling Brook » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:06 am

Hi Margo,

Josephine has a habit that she always does once she leaves our house.

When ever we decide to go for a walk anywhere she always has to stop at the road side kurb outside our house, remove her shoes, clean (wipe) the souls of her feet and then inside of her shoes before she will continue to walk anywhere!

This habit always happens when she gets to this part of the kurb, regardless of wether or not she is going out from the house or arriving back home. She does however NOT do it at any other road side kurb that we have to pass.

I have to say that as her Childcare is directly across the road from us, it is when she goes to or from Childcare that we get most frustrated with this little habit as we could have been there and back by the time she has cleaned her feet! And I also have to say that she does this regardless of who is with her (me or her dad!)

Not really sure what started it all, but I gather that as she has been doing this for 2-3 months now, it could be a habit that manages to stay for a little while longer! ... We just hope that one day she actually grows out of it!
~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~
Give the Gift of Reiki - Share and be involved in Our Community

Rippling Brook - Living the great life in Tasmania
Rippling Brook
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby whispering breeze » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:40 pm

Hi Keren,

Bless little Josephine :3: i would think she will grow out of it in the end, hopefully soon for your sake lol.
I can imagine her little feet as she cleans the souls of her feet :1:

All my children have had habits at someitme, the two older ones have pretty much grown out of theirs.
My sisters eldest daughter sucks two of her fingers, she has done it since she was a baby and has stuck with her, she's 8 this year.
They have tried to get her out of it, but it seems it's a comfort for her.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Crystal Dragon » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:56 pm

I think all kids have habits for one reason or another ... & I think its more annoying or embarrassing to the parent/s than the child. The child most the time can be oblivious to it unless we the parent make a fuss about it!

My son unfortunately (hes 4) has very bad habit of sticking his finger up his nose when in a stressful or different enviroment... now you can imagine me as a parent I hate it and once I have told hom to stop he does but then goes on to pick at the side of his nose and in some cases takes the skin off :-? so i've learnt to ignore it i tell him once to stop & then thats all.... Its been a hard thing to do my patience has been tested many a time!!!

Best of luck
huggles
Lisamaree
Crystal Dragon
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby whispering breeze » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:58 pm

Hi Lisamaree,

Yes i know you are right when you say the best way is to ignore it, i know this as i suffered with a habit when i was a child and at one stage it had got out of hand.
If i was told as a child to stop it, it got worse and at times i got so depressed and down about it, as i dearly wanted to stop it.
I used to get very low and even felt suicidal, i was 14 when my habit started and it didn't stop till i was in my 17th year, i learnt to control it and stop it completely.
Thankfully that time has passed for me.
Not many people know that, but felt i should share it with you all.
It's not a part of my life i like to talk about really, but i suppose saying it now helps me to move forward away from that time in my life.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Light in the Forest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:46 pm

Hello,

:4: Margo :4: , that was brave of you to share something so personal with us.
"For those who strive for perfection....take a look at mother nature"

Light in the Forest
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby whispering breeze » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:39 pm

Thanks Amy, i wasn't going to share it at first, but felt i should. :oops:
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Light in the Forest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:38 pm

Your Welcome Margo! :4:

Light in the Forest
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Habits

Postby big_mamma » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:55 pm

Hi everyone I would like to ask you if you think that habits are connected to our chromasomes, or genes and can they be inherited.
I would be interested to see your response. :D
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby Light in the Forest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:24 pm

Nurture or Nature, that whole debate that sciencetist have been arguing for years.
I think habits a formed sometimes as stress coping or releiving. So, are some of us genetically predispositioned to be people with habits or is it due to our environment?
Alcoholism, thats a habit, I believe it can be inherited? Or say someone entered into a new environment and began bitting his/her finger nails?
I guess I'm talking in circles, as human behavior confusses me.lol

Light in the Forest
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby Crystal Dragon » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:49 am

whispering breeze wrote:Hi Lisamaree,

Yes i know you are right when you say the best way is to ignore it, i know this as i suffered with a habit when i was a child and at one stage it had got out of hand.
If i was told as a child to stop it, it got worse and at times i got so depressed and down about it, as i dearly wanted to stop it.
I used to get very low and even felt suicidal, i was 14 when my habit started and it didn't stop till i was in my 17th year, i learnt to control it and stop it completely.
Thankfully that time has passed for me.
Not many people know that, but felt i should share it with you all.
It's not a part of my life i like to talk about really, but i suppose saying it now helps me to move forward away from that time in my life.

Hi Margo
Thankyou for sharing that with us:3:... I'm only new to this site and found it hard to open up.But decided I had nothing loose... for a change I was going to put my life out there for all to see instead of hiding like anew beginning what ever you want to call it.

I also as a child had many habits due to my life style how I was being brought up etc etc at 15 i tried commiting suicide after that time things started to improve my life took another path/journey and I'm glad for that now... But I'm older now & have more control over my choices

My mother is a undiagnosed alcoholic has been for years and that reason I steer away from drink and anything that could become a habit if i needed a crutch.

Its another reason why I've started to look for meditation and other ways that i can control any habit forming urges.

BLAH I hope I haven't raved on too much .... :oops:

Take Care Everyone
Huggles
Lisa
Crystal Dragon
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby whispering breeze » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:50 am

Hi Lisamaree,

Thank you for sharing your story with us, i think it helps us all to get over the hurdles in our lives by talking about them.
I know it has helped me already by talking about it. :D
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Light in the Forest » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:09 pm

Hello,

As scarey as it is to open up, it can make such a difference in your life and can also give someone else the courage to do it too.
Nat4You is a place that make you feel safe, because it's place that full of wonderfull caring people. Like Cloud Dancer said along time ago, we are a Cyber Family, he is so right!!!

Light in the Forest
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

habits in children

Postby big_mamma » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:27 pm

I have enjoyed reading all your responses,I am also one who had habits as a child and they followed me into adaulthood,but I now control them very much and they only come out if I am in a nerous state.
I have a Robertsonian translacation what that means is that as everyone has 46 chromesomes I have 45 because no's 13 and 14 have joined into one long chromesome, my son has the same and has ADHD.
I am possitive from whatching him that I had the same when I was a child.
there is also a condition called turrits syndrome (i have probly spelt that wrongly)
that is what the film as good as it gets with Jack Nicholas was based on.
big_mamma
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby Crystal Dragon » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:42 am

Light in the Forest wrote:Hello,

As scarey as it is to open up, it can make such a difference in your life and can also give someone else the courage to do it too.
Nat4You is a place that make you feel safe, because it's place that full of wonderfull caring people. Like Cloud Dancer said along time ago, we are a Cyber Family, he is so right!!!

Its nice to have support no matter where its from :D

Everyone here seems so very sweet & friendly Its definately becoming a second home for me like a "Cyber Family" if you will.

Even though in general I have probs & my son has probs at times ours are pretty mild compared to some... I have read all the different posts & I have a dear online friend who is gravely ill and has a child with a disability... shes has emailed me on heaps of occassions when things got tough. Besides the physical & mental anguish ppl go through personally their families also got through it with them but in a different way ..... It puts so much stress on a family & sometimes doing ur block on here to ppl that are supportive etc .. can relieve that stress in the home.... :D

So we are lucky to have our friends online!!!

Huggles
Lisamaree :1:
Crystal Dragon
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby whispering breeze » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:25 am

Hi Lisamaree yes you are right we are lucky to have friends online :2:

My son still has the habit at times but not very often now, I add him to my daily reiki list and it has helped him alot.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Cloud_Princess » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:56 am

talk of habits ... kids have strange habits .. each of them has their own pecularities that mostly they outgrow its true

my son , however lol , david ... he gets excited and he starts jumping up and down on the spot ... he is very exciteable and it drives us all nuts lol
he can be watching a cartoon and gets all excited and starts jumping all over the loungeroom ... getting in front of the tv .. of course ... which annoys the girls , caty and teagan , lol and it goes on from there .. you can imagine the fun i have some nights lol
its hilarious to watch him and its hard to ignore when your trying to watch the cartoon too lol ( ok so i like japanese anime cartoons ... always have lol )
teagan on the other hand .. has to always have things "just so" before she will go anywhere .. she is devestated if her "space" isnt just right lol
Caty on the other hand seems to have outgrown the worst of them ... thankfully at the moment tho we are going through the " i cant get to sleep mummy " until 11pm or later .. by which stage mummy is getting a lil tired and grumpy too lol so atm we have compromised we all have to sleep with the bathroom light on .. which glares into my bedroom, straight onto my bed ... of course lol ... mummy isnt getting much sleep needless to say lol but caty is condescending to sleep so ill deal with it eventually lol

but as people keep telling me .. mostly kids outgrow their bad habits .. just takes patience and time ... and a very good memory so you can remind them when they have kids doing the same kind of things lol :wink:

Cloud_Princess

If Wishes were Wings....
Cloud_Princess
Naturally Here
Naturally Here

Postby whispering breeze » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:13 am

Hello Cloud Princess...it's great to have you back!!!! :1: :2: :1:
We have missed you!

Two of my children are also complaining they can't get to sleep, so out comes the Lavender essential oil and I use reiki. This usually gets them back down to sleep quickly.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Return to Parenting and Family Issues