Inactive? Overweight? Your Environment May Play a Part

The place for information, discussion and positiveness as well as the place to discuss ways to look after you, your family, the environment, recycling, organic products and all those other environmental issues...

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

Postby Fantasia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 pm

While we all know that obesity is caused by consuming more calories than we expend, studies suggest that our surroundings may also play a factor. Specifically, it has been suggested that people are more likely to be physically active Ã
I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the
other person and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people.

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

RE: Inactive? Overweight? Your Environment May Play a Part

Postby caraway » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:11 am

Of course, the next thing you have to say is 'what came first, the chicken or the egg?' Could it also be that the kind of people who are likely to be less active also are likely to be of lower socio-economic status and therefore live in the high litter, high graffiti neighbourhoods which are also likely to be the cheaper neighbourhoods to live in? Perhaps they were less active BEFORE the living environment is taken into account. Perhaps socio-economic status is more of an influence?
Dare to live your creed )O(
Angels fly because they take themselves lightly :lil:
For a fleeing enemy, build a golden bridge.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
caraway
Naturally Content
Naturally Content

Postby Fantasia » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:08 pm

Its amazing some of the info that is flying around, some of it to me doesnt make sense, but I do agree that socio-economic status eg stress has a big part in our emotional & physical condition.

I live in a high an environment of high greenery, I dont get much activity done apart from lazing around enjoying it LOL
I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the
other person and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people.

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby vicky » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:44 pm

I live quite close to the city centre because it was al we could afford at the time and there is a park a few strides away but would I go in to walk/jog - no way it's full of junkies and/or alckies (drugs 'n' booze) you daren't let a dog or child go off for fear of them getting stuck on a disguarded needle - whta do the police do? nothing

I would love to move but prices have shot up and we would both be paying all our salary to do so, and when you get older you want a little butter on your bread!

Vickyxx
keep the faith
vicky
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby caraway » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:19 am

I have to admit that the environment I am in does tend to make me want to go walking. I live in the country and love to go for ambles down to the creek (charmingly named 'Fairy Hole Creek') or up our road, being on constant watchout for brown snakes of course! :o

But then I love walking in town, too, and looking at all the houses and gardens. And when I lived in Sydney, I loved to spend the day in the old part of the city on a Saturday. And the suburb I lived in, while it had its seedier areas, was a historical area with lots of interesting stuff to see and do.

So for me, I like being active no matter I live.
Dare to live your creed )O(
Angels fly because they take themselves lightly :lil:
For a fleeing enemy, build a golden bridge.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
caraway
Naturally Content
Naturally Content

Postby vicky » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:23 pm

'Fairy Hole Creek' well if that means what I think it means....oh sorry I have a dirty mind but it did make me laugh!

Vickyxx
keep the faith
vicky
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Return to Leisure, Health and a Caring Environment