TRUE INFORMATION ABOUT VITAMIN 'C'

The place for information, discussion and positiveness as well as the place to discuss ways to look after you, your family, the environment, recycling, organic products and all those other environmental issues...

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

Postby Fantasia » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 am

I found this little article today and I found it quite interesting; I thought you all may enjoy it....the things we learn each day :o

By: William Comer, Lifestyle and Spiritual Counselor

Every day I witness misinformation about vitamins in the media, magazines, television and radio. In this article I will dispel a myth about one of the most common vitamins, Vitamin C. True information about Vitamin C alone will make your efforts to care for yourself and your family more accurate and probably save you money as well

A Hungarian scientist, Dr. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, is credited with having discovered Vitamin C in the early 1930's. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1937 for his successful application of ascorbic acid against scurvy. He discovered that Paprika was a very rich source of ascorbic acid. So relieved to have a cure for scurvy discovered, the world immediately assumed that ascorbic acid and Vitamin C were one and the same. Dr. Gyorgyi made no such assumption but in the excitement of fame and fortune he said nothing.

Two years later, in 1939, Dr. Gyorgyi published Vitamins, an essay about his further research. When he had separated ascorbic acid from the vitamin C food source he had simply discarded the remaining material. When he went back and began studying that material he recognized what he called flavanones, or Vitamin P, to be a vital part of the Vitamin C complex. He then stated publicly that ascorbic acid is not Vitamin C!

In the early 1950's the U.S. government decided to rate any Vitamin C product according to the amount of ascorbic acid it contains. Manufacturers were authorized to label ascorbic acid as vitamin C. Apparently, Dr. Gyorgyi's recant was either unknown or ignored. This has important implications for us today! By and large, the vitamin C you find on the store shelves is a counterfeit. You are getting ascorbic acid, which has a very limited nutritional role in the body. The whole Vitamin C complex has many vital roles.

Today, Vitamin C is designated as an antioxidant vitamin. This is only partially true. When we consume ascorbic acid we are using that fraction of Vitamin C as a drug to stimulate or suppress symptoms. It is not a food, it does not nourish the body. The true purpose of ascorbic acid is as a preservative of the Vitamin C complex, to protect the nourishing factors from being destroyed in the acidic environment of the stomach, so that those factors may reach the small intestine and be taken up into the bloodstream to play their roles in sustaining health. As a certain biochemist said, "To say that ascorbic acid is Vitamin C is like looking at a wheel and saying that it is a car, while it is just a small part of a car." Yes, ascorbic acid does have antioxidant properties that have specific therapeutic uses when it is taken as a supplement.

Here is what is missing when you buy a supplement product labeled Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). (By the way, current research is showing that dosage in excess of 500 milligrams is toxic to the body.) The real Vitamin C complex contains vitamins P, K, and J; and enzymes, a critical one being tyrosinase, which is organic copper.

The vitamin P factors maintain vascular integrity, e.g. they strengthen the blood vessels and arteries, making them tougher and more durable. Deficiency in these factors of Vitamin C lead to a weakening of the lining of vessels and this cascades into arterio and artherosclorosis.

The vitamin K factor helps in coagulation so that you dont bleed excessively when injured. We've all witnessed this every when we've been scratched, cut or punctured. What incredible technology! And to think that it is discarded in favor of making a pill solely of ascorbic acid! Of course, most ascorbic acid is manufactured from corn and is actually a synthetic substancenot even a part of Vitamin C.

Then, there is the vitamin J factor. It is the part of the C complex that increases oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. If you have a cold, you want to get oxygen to your tissues where it oxidizes the toxins and carries them off as carbon dioxide and water. That's pretty important isn't it? You don't want that factor missing from your Vitamin C product do you?

What, there's more? Yes, the enzymes! You know, those things that we destroy by cooking vegetables in water? A critical enzyme in Vitamin C is tyrosinase, or organic copper. It nourishes the adrenal glands, the ones that manage our 'fight or flee' adrenaline energy. Low energy can be caused by the adrenals being deficient in organic copper. A vital factor of the Vitamin C complex.

These C factors maintain the cushioning tissue in our joints and spine called collagen, as well as connective tissues. Vitamin C deficiency is an issue in rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory conditions of the joints. If you aren't eating Vitamin C rich foods and/or supplementing with a whole food complex supplement, you are putting at risk your circulatory system, your heart, your back and joints, and more.

Well, there you have the goodness of Vitamin C as it comes unadulterated in Nature's fruit and vegetables. It is even in milk - raw that is. Unfortunately, it is destroyed by pasteurization. Milk is made into a dead food, and that is a topic unto itself. There are very few over-the-counter whole food Vitamin C complex products available. I can not name brands here, but, read the labels: most are only comprised of ascorbic acid. Unfortunately, well, actually it's fortunate that real Vitamin C is available from health care providers who carry product lines available only to them. That is because many of their therapeutic products need to be used as prescribed for maximum benefit and safety. Good practitioners require authentic products.

I employ a Vitamin C product that is made from the raw, whole foods alfalfa, mushrooms and buckwheat leaf. A 500mg tablet only contains 5mg of ascorbic acid; However, there are 495mg of all those wonderful factors Iive, described above, factors that give you so much health benefit. Counterfeit producers scoff at such a puny amount of ascorbic acid because they don't know the truth about Vitamin C. Now, you do. Apply this principle in your selection of all vitamins and create an authentic temple to live in.
I don't believe in charity. I believe in solidarity. Charity is so vertical. It goes from the top to the bottom. Solidarity is horizontal. It respects the
other person and learns from the other. I have a lot to learn from other people.

ImageImageImage
Fantasia
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

RE: TRUE INFORMATION ABOUT VITAMIN

Postby Citrine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:04 am

Thank you Fantasia for bringing the true facts of vitamin C to light. I have just checked my vitamins only to find that asorbic acid is listed as the vitamin c content. :-?

I have read recently that too much vitamin c undermines the body to build collegen I after reading this I believe it is from the asorbic acid derivative of it. It is amazing how quickly they find something of benefit but not look at it as a whole and only cut out what they think is beneficial missing the whole point of it.

It is like the Vitamin C tablets parents gave their kids in the 1980's thinking they were doing the right thing and being all asorbic acid rotted the childrens teeth away!

My friends give their children whole milk fresh from their jersey cow and they are all very healthy, never get sick and have lovely rosey cheeks.

Thank's again for an extremely informative read.
Love & light
Citrinexxx
Grow in love & peace and joy will light your days.

Life is not about finding yourself.....Life is about creating yourself.

The secret to life is not to be in the know - but to be in the mystery.
Citrine
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Sarahangel » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:24 am

What an eye opener...I always thought that vitamin C and Ascorbic acid are one in the same. In the nursing home I work at most of the doctors prescribe Ascorbic acid as a daily supplement. It makes me wonder if it has any benefit to them at all.

Do not worry about what's in the past or what your future holds..Live, Love and be happy in the Now..

Sarahangel
Natural Born Winner!
Natural Born Winner!

Return to Leisure, Health and a Caring Environment