What is Leisure and Health?

The place for information, discussion and positiveness as well as the place to discuss ways to look after you, your family, the environment, recycling, organic products and all those other environmental issues...

Moderator: Spiritual Beings

What is Leisure and Health?

Postby Rippling Brook » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:46 pm

What is Leisure and Health? How can we improve their relationship with each other and benefit as a whole?

Understanding your health.

Everyone knows what ‘Health’ is, but do we really understand its relationship to our being. We all hope and wish for good health, yet in doing so, many of us just hope we don’t become hospitalised, don’t loose our abilities and never suffer from illness or disease. But did you know that we can still enjoy good health even if we have a disability, disease or misfortune. For good health relates not just to our physical attributes but also to such things as our emotional, spiritual and intellectual state. These three areas are often seen as secondary, but in reality, good mental, emotional and spiritual health is paramount to a happy, healthy and positive life.

So what exactly is Leisure and how can we define it?

This is the tricky part…as every person has a different view on what they personally call ‘Leisure’. It’s all down to personal attitudes and how they help to distinguishing ‘leisure’ from ‘free time’. We often see that because everyone has different attitudes that two people may view the same activity very differently, one as a chore and the other as a personal choice. Yet leisure can also be distinguished from free time using the concepts of self control, autonomy and through it being self determined. The ability to do what one likes, when one chooses, free from obligations, provides us with the opportunity to established perceived freedom of choice and personal control over our activities and thus create leisure opportunities within our lives.

So how can we use our Leisure time to increase our Health?

Every leisure activity has some form of benefit for the person enjoying the activity. The beauty of which allows us to have fun as well as provide positive health benefits for our selves. The key to enhancing our health through the use of our leisure time lies in how we mange this time. For example, the repeated participation in one leisure activity such as joining in this forum, can provide positive influences for your self esteem, due to that fact that you may have an increased sense of belonging and feelings of being a valued member of our community. It can also increase your mental state as there is informative, friendly and thought provoking information here. Funnily enough it can enhance your fine motor skills as you manouver the mouse, type on the key board and do all the often forgotten tasks related to online communication. Yet if you were to only indulge in this form of leisure other aspects of your health could suffer. Increased sedentary behaviour (lack of movement) finds us with increased weight issues, which if left to escalate can cause serious health issues such as an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, breathing difficulties, and loss of self esteem. So to improve your health immensely, we need a balance of Leisure activities within our lives so that we can benefit from a variety of positive influences that they can provide. Some great ‘leisure’ activities that help enhance the mind and the body include both meditation and yoga, but there are hundreds out there…...
~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~
Give the Gift of Reiki - Share and be involved in Our Community

Rippling Brook - Living the great life in Tasmania
Rippling Brook
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby Violet Flame » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:43 pm

For good health relates not just to our physical attributes but also to such things as our emotional, spiritual and intellectual state.

This is so true! We are a whole and we can't dissociate the phisical from the emotional, spiritual and intellectual parts.
Sometimes when we have some phisical symptons, they are due to emotional or spiritual problems, so we must treat our body as a whole.

Every leisure activity has some form of benefit for the person enjoying the activity.

Leisure activities are very important to me as I find them stress relieve.
My main leisure activities are gardening, going for a walk in the beach on sunny days and, of course, coming to this forum. Swimming will be my next one
"When you want to hate, be love. When you want to judge, be love.
When you want to fight, be love. And when you want to be right... BE LOVE!" - Kuan Yin

Violet Flame
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Postby Rippling Brook » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:05 pm

Leisure activities are very important to me as I find them stress relieve.

I agree with you Violet Flame and leisure is also an important aspect of my life. I find that when I choose a leisure activity I am always constantly searching to understand the hidden dimensions and benefits for myself (or others). I also like swimming, but being over weight I am not too keen to go to the local swimming pool and start jumping in and swimming around just yet in a bathing suit! (even though swimming is most beneficial in aiding weight loss). But The benefits of such a leisure activity are incredible.....

Swiiming is a great all round exercise that is great for the body, mind and soul. The best part about it is that it's a low impact exercise that helps to regulate your breathing, stimulates your bodys circulatory system (which then helps to make sure all the necesary oxygen and nutrients get where they need to go). It is also great because it puts no stress on the body and it's joints (it also helps to minimise pain too), while also strengthening your cardiovascular fitness, strength and stamina.

Also the best part about Swimming is if you use it as a regular part of your exercise routine, 30 -45 minute sessions, three or four times a week, you significantly reduce your risk of suffereing from stroke, heart attack and diabetes. Another great aspect of Swimming is anyone of any age or ability can enjoy the water :)

and just for a bit of added interest and knowledge:

Swimming uses almost all the major muscle groups in your body, and places a vigorous demand on your heart and lungs.

Swimming develops the individuals muscle strength and endurance, and improves their posture and flexibility.

Swimming is extremely beneficial for people who are overweight, pregnant, or with leg or lower back problems.

Swimming provides almost all of the aerobic benefits that running does (without the impact - and often associated injuries), with many of the benefits of resistance training aswell

So what are we all waiting for? lol it's summer over here in the Southern hemisphere, so go out, grab the kids, husband / wife, friend, who ever! and enjoy the cool of the water and the benefits of having some fun!

............. Looks like I best resurect that swimming suit of mine... and follow my own advice :) ................
~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~
Give the Gift of Reiki - Share and be involved in Our Community

Rippling Brook - Living the great life in Tasmania
Rippling Brook
Naturally Admin.
Naturally Admin.

Postby whispering breeze » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi Rippling Brook,

I used to go swimming regularly, once a week. But I stopped a few years back. I was never a good swimmer but I still enjoyed it.

I used to go every sunday morning very early with my sister and her hubby. We had a laugh usually with me looking like an idiot in the water as I tried to do all the fancy things like stand upside down in the water, what I didn't realise was my legs were crashing about and the life guards got worried. (times like that I wanted to hide lol) My brother in law wasn't keen after that LOL. You know what it's like when girls get together lol.

I was always suprised by the way my muscles ached the next day, I had used muscles I never knew I had and I have to say it was my muscles in my boobs that really ached.

I agree with you that swimming is one of the best forms of exercise out there and I really must get back to going again myself.
You are a spirit making your way, learn your lessons and hold your head up high. When you stumble, do not cry and give up, get back up and carry on. You are beautiful and you are loved, you are unique. Be proud of who you are, face your lessons with courage and when in need, ask for spirits helping hand.
whispering breeze
Natural Star!
Natural Star!

Postby Violet Flame » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:31 pm

Looks like I best resurect that swimming suit of mine... and follow my own advice

LOL Rippilng Brook. It's so small that i could hardly see it :lol:

I also like swimming, but being over weight I am not too keen to go to the local swimming pool and start jumping in and swimming around just yet in a bathing suit

So what Rippling Brook? I'm over weigh also and there's thousand of people with the same problem and you see them in bathing suits?
If you like swimming, then start doing it.
I'll start in two weeks as my back didn't allow me to go sooner! And it's winter time here :lol:
"When you want to hate, be love. When you want to judge, be love.
When you want to fight, be love. And when you want to be right... BE LOVE!" - Kuan Yin

Violet Flame
Naturally Mod
Naturally Mod

Return to Leisure, Health and a Caring Environment